10.25.2009

Geology Rocks!


My older daughter has a serious geology jones. It seems to have started last month while we were shopping at the gift shop of the San Diego Natural History Museum. She had spotted a display of geodes and gems for sale. I remember her turning to me and saying,
"Mom, do you think I can just learn, like, everything there is to know about one thing? I mean, like, get all the books the library has on something and just read all there is to know about it?"
What kind of question is this for a 9 year old girl? I didn't know what else to say except, "Sure, kid."
So she's read the better part of every library book for kids on rocks and minerals, perfecting the art of requesting books to be delivered to the location behind our community through the online library system. She's picked up and analyzed many different stones and rocks under our trusty Brock microscope. She politely but enthusiastically asks when we will be able to return to the rocky beach (San Clemente) or when we will visit a cave.
I found this awesome website recently and ordered a couple of available kits. My girls were in heaven for a whole afternoon and even woke up early the following day to work on the remaining pieces and play with the clay and water. At $12 a piece with free shipping from WA, this product makes a wonderful gift for boys who like digging in the dirt and girls who like pretty rocks!

No comments: